Unverified

St. Georges Anglican Church

18:35 Jan 30 2015 Cayon Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis

St. Georges Anglican Church
Description
The St. Georges Anglican Church (Basseterre) In the early stages of the French occupation of Basseterre, a Roman Catholic Church, named Notre Dame, was erected by the Jesuits. Notre Dame was burnt to the ground in 1706 during the Anglo-French War by English soldiers who were billeted there. The Church was re-built by 1710 and re-named St. George’s. From the 1720’s, it became a place of worship for the Anglicans. It was damaged again in the fire of 1763, but once again restored. The earthquake of 1842, followed by the hurricane of 1843, reduced it to ruins, and an entirely new building was planned. But the congregation continued to worship in the ruins until a new church was consecrated on the 25th March, 1859. Seven years afterwards, it was gutted in the Great Fire of 1867; and was re-roofed, and restored in 1869. In a series of hurricanes since 1989, the church was again damaged but restoration work has since been undertaken on the building.
Credibility: UP DOWN 0
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comments:
Security Code:
15 + 9 =

Additional Reports

Springfield Chapel

21:05 Jan 29, 2015

Cayon Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0 Kms

Government House

18:54 Jan 30, 2015

Cayon Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0 Kms

Old Treasury Building

18:47 Jan 30, 2015

Victoria Road, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0.81 Kms

Berkley Memorial

20:59 Jan 29, 2015

Fort Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0.82 Kms

Stone Fort Petrogylphs

20:33 Jan 29, 2015

Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0.98 Kms