Unverified

Government House

18:54 Jan 30 2015 Cayon Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis

Government House
Description
The Government House (located at Spring field Basseterre) The Blake family built this property around the time of Emancipation (1834) and soon after sold it to Thomas Harper, a planter-merchant and Vestryman. Harper named the property Springfield. When the Archdeaconry of St Kitts was created as a consequence of the establishment of the Diocese of Antigua in 1842, it was felt that the rector of St. George should be accommodated in a style more suitable for his new position of Archdeacon. In keeping with this ambition, the venerable Francis Robert Brathwaite, the first Archdeacon, bought Springfield from the Harpers around 1848. Today Springfield House serves as the official residence of the Governor General of The Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.
Credibility: UP DOWN 0
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comments:
Security Code:
16 + 10 =

Additional Reports

Springfield Chapel

21:05 Jan 29, 2015

Cayon Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0 Kms

St. Georges Anglican Church

18:35 Jan 30, 2015

Cayon Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0 Kms

Old Treasury Building

18:47 Jan 30, 2015

Victoria Road, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0.81 Kms

Berkley Memorial

20:59 Jan 29, 2015

Fort Street, Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0.82 Kms

Stone Fort Petrogylphs

20:33 Jan 29, 2015

Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, 0.98 Kms